T&T and West Indies players Daren Bravo and Nicholas Pooran entertained the crowd with a few lofty blows to signal the opening of the 2017 TML/Takaaful T&T 2017 Cricket League last Friday. TML Cricket now in its 12th year can now boast of being the first wind ball franchise premier league in Trinidad and Tobago, with the grand first prize of $10,000. Six new franchise holders have chosen the following names and geographic areas.
- R Khan Trading – Central Rangers, representing the Central area
- Rockhard Cement – Rockhard United, representing the San Juan area
- Eniath’s Printing Co. Ltd. – TML Enforcers, representing the TML and St Joseph areas
- Office Are Us– Algharbi Scorpions representing Santa Cruz and Northern areas
- Atlantic Trading – ATCO Curepe Blazers representing Curepe and environs
- Executive General Upholsterers – Executive Eagles, also representing San Juan/Aranguez
TML Cricket has three other leagues catering for all level of players. TML/Metaluxries Championship League, this league has 16 Jamaats from all over T&T. TML/R. Khan Trading Fun League, is designed for players 17 years and under TML/Eniath’s Printing Masters League has players 40 years and over.
In the first match of the tournament which is an 8 over per side contest, Al-Gharbi scorpions battled Executive Eagles, with Al-Gharbi batting first and posting 46/4 with a top score of 22 from Tariq Subhan and 10 from Naveed Ali. Bowling for Eagles, Farmann Ali took 1/5 and captain Fazil Baksh with 1/6.
Executive eagles got to the total with ease, with a top score of 16 from Wazim Juman and 15 not out from Riaf Ali.
Former T&T and West Indies youth player Zaheer Ali commended the
TML for creating an environment to capture the youths and take them away from the negative activities that have plagued our nation.
The tournament continues every Friday and Saturday until mid-May.